Sleep plays an important role in keeping you fresh and active whole day. But sometimes sleep just doesn't come easy and sleeping pills are not at all a good option. One of the easiest methods of enjoying sound sleep is to change your eating habits. Many food items have typical properties that keep you awake, so let's eliminate them and include some healthy foods that help you sleep.
Foods that can help you sleep:
1. Mashed Potatoes: It's recommended to avoid potato sandwich in breakfast as they are heavy and make you feel sleepy. Now you know they are good when you really need to sleep. Potatoes rank low on the Glycemic Index, a ranking of carbohydrates and their effect on blood glucose levels. Try mashed potatoes with low-fat milk tonight and wake up fresh.
2. Oatmeal: Oatmeal is full of fiber and warms your belly which makes you feel satisfied. Thus this works well before going to bed. Sprinkle your bowl of oatmeal with warm milk for an extra dose of sleep-inducing nutrition.
3. Bananas: Banana contain melatonin and tryptophan which help you feel sleep. This fruit also contains magnesium, known as a muscle relaxer to help you ease away physical tension and stress.
4. Turkey: Turkey is rich in the amino acid tryptophan which helps promote healthy sound sleep. Tryptophan helps the brain make serotonin, a neurotransmitter that is necessary for sleep and relaxation, and melatonin. This has recently become popular as a supplemental sleep aid.
5. Milk: Have you ever thought how a small child relax and sleeps happily after breast feeding, yes it's due to milk. Warm milk is another rich source of tryptophan, which is soothing and will help your body relax.
Caffeine and sugar-laden foods can ruin your sleep so avoid having chocolate or coffee before heading towards bed.